Thursday, October 20, 2005

Something I found online....

Do to others as you would have them do to you.

-Luke 6:31 (NRSV)
AS a church secretary, I meet many people in need. One day a homeless woman came to the church. Her family was living in their car. Her husband worked but did not make enough to support a family of four. The woman was my age, and her son was my own son's age. I thought how easily it could have been me desperately seeking help from a stranger. The only help I could offer was to send her to another church's food pantry, but her hopelessness was as evident as my helplessness.

The woman returned often just to sit and talk with me. Eventually, her visits became celebrations as she would tell me something joyous that had happened to improve her family's situation: she found a job; her husband began training at the local vocational school; they were moving into a house. It was all coming together for her and her family.

One day, as we shared a sandwich, she turned to me and said, "You gave me so much more than you can ever know. You treated me with respect and patience when I needed someone to listen. You encouraged me to have faith in God's plan, and it all worked out. Thank you."

Patti Marshall (Oklahoma, U.S.A.)


Dear God, help us to make room in our hearts for those who need us, whether they be friend or stranger. Guide us to show your love through sharing our love. Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Swinging Sammy said...

amen, sometimes i forget that ppl need more than monetary help!

6:32 PM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger Doug E. Pudge said...

Thanks Pedro, I needed to hear this one. B4T

7:33 AM, October 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home