Saturday, February 04, 2006

The struggles of working on a car....

Man.. I thought.. I would get up early and get ahead start on the day and replace the passenger side front bearing today.. Everything was going pretty smooth. I had loosened the hub bolt. Gotten the tire off, removed the caliper.. But try as I could... I could not get the rotor off. Tom came out and gave it a try.. I heated it up until almost glowing. 20 lb sledge. Still wouldn't budge. So we decided to contiue with the job and work on removing the rotor off the car. So loosened the ball joint.. Start to loosen the strut clamp bolt and pop.. Broken bolt.. What to do now.. Remove the whole assymboly with the strut attached.. Actually not that tough.. Cut the strut off with sawsall. Work on getting that rotor off. While banging away it breaks loose. But it took the hub and the outer race of the bearing. Still need to remove rotor.. Tom balance on it with both feet and driving a 20 lb sledge between this feet.. Quite a funny site if it wasn't so frustrating. He takes a break. After squiting it with super penetration fluid for the 20th time I work on it with a 5 lb sledge. It pops free.. Yipee.. But wait the race is still stuck on the hub. I come to work.. Use the press to remove the old bearing from the knuckle. Press the new one in.. easy.. I drilled alittle bit of the broken bolt out. So it is snowing now.. I still haven't got my car back together, I haven't figured out how to remove the race. No machine shop/auto shops open on weekend.. Looking forward to Monday..

2 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

Pete sounds like you are on right , I usually I get to the point of wanting to push what ever car I'm working into the lake and make bass reef out of it, I just strongly dislike working on cars , trucks . But I always end doing because its cheaper than pay someone else. So carry a good fight Pete, may the car have mecy on you

3:36 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Pete said...

Well I went to a local garage and had them pull the race off for me. Took about 8 minutes from the time I put it in his hand till he handed it back and charged me ten dollars. It must be nice to have the correct tools. I am going to get off work early tonight to put it all back together. Should go alittle smoother.

2:22 PM, February 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home